Both of our boys have Visual Perception Delays. They need extra help to comprehend what they are actually reading. So some days, a Charlotte Mason approach can be frustrating for us since they cannot read to understand the way that most people do. We are always looking for reading programs, that are internet based, that provide reinforcement for vocabulary and comprehension.
Read Naturally has now introduced a product called Real Naturally Live. Read Naturally Live is a new and improved web-based implementation of Read Naturally's highly effective fluency intervention. Read Naturally Live also supports vocabulary development and promotes comprehension. Our powerful strategy that combines teacher modeling, repeated reading, and progress monitoring is now even more engaging with many new features:
- A new Wordtastic vocabulary game that actively engages students in vocabulary development while they wait for their teacher at the Cold Timing and Pass steps.
- An optional Spanish read along for many Sequenced series stories that supports native Spanish speakers by tapping into their background knowledge and exposing them to the story content in Spanish before they begin reading along and practicing the same story in English.
- Audio for the third read along that models an expressive rate for some levels.
- New and updated stories at some levels.
- Expanded phonics lessons in Phonics levels with updated word lists for practice.
- Upgraded and revised comprehension questions
- Additional vocabulary words, definitions, and illustrations.
- New photo illustrations for all stories.
Advantages of Read Naturally Live:
- Lower implementation costs: Since Read Live is a web-based program, all software and content is hosted on Read Naturally's computers. Customers just need a web browser with Adobe Flash support. There's no other hardware or software to set up, install, or maintain.
- Simplified pricing: Schools pay one price for each student and receive access to all 13 of our Sequenced Series levels (focused on fluency-development) and all 6 of our Phonics Series levels (focused on fluency with an emphasis on phonics/decoding).
- Assessment tool included: For each Read Naturally Live seat purchased, Read Live includes 30 seats of Benchmark Assessor Live. So for the price of enrolling one student in Read Naturally's proven reading intervention, you can screen an entire class of students.
- Streamlined administration: Read Live makes it easy to centrally manage students throughout a school or district. With a few clicks of the mouse, you can transfer students to another school, change the grade or teacher for a group of students, or make students who have graduated from the program inactive so their seats are available to new students.
- More privacy: Read Live includes new options for administrative and support roles, enabling you to limit access to student data to only the people who need it.
I was pretty excited to hear we were getting the opportunity to review this product. Both the boys were able to try this program out. It was a little confusing getting the boys into their assigned levels, but even when I had to call customer service because of a password issue, they were extremely nice. Even though they were probably laughing when we hung up...because I messed up...lol.
The boys did well with this program. The one thing they both complain about is the repeated reading. They have the same feeling as their father, once it's read, don't need to read it again (it's genetic). This program does require a certain amount of re-reading for comprehension. And even though I was nearby, they actually read the items far too many times because they didn't notice that I needed to log in as Teacher to authorize their Quiz. The boys are not good at reading directions at all.
We have only used this program a short time, but Joey and Brayden both seem to be benefiting from this product. If their progress continues, I hope to continue the subscription. We may possibly add Lydia as she is also needing some extra reading help.
I do like the reading structure, and the vocabulary reinforcement. New vocabulary is introduced before the kids even start the reading. This is probably my favorite part of this program. Joey has a large vocabulary, but he uses many words in incorrect ways at times. By giving definitions and showing examples, this technique really helps him to see the word in use. And for Brayden, well vocabulary is a weakness. He is also benefiting from seeing the word in use.
If you are interested in trying out this product, they are offering a free 60 day trial.
Sign up for a free trial of Read Live, and you'll have full access to benchmark assessments in your school or classroom for grades 1–8 plus 19 levels of fluency intervention curriculum for 60 days. For schools implementing a Response to Intervention (RTI) program, Read Live is an ideal standard protocol intervention for students served in Tier 2 and Tier 3.
Read Live is a professional program designed for use by educators. At this time,Read Live is available for trial or sale only to educational institutions, such as K-12 schools and districts, professional tutors, and recognized home schools.
Here is a video showing how easy it can be for students to progress through a lesson:
Cost: A 12 month subscription to Read Live costs $149.00. This includes access to 13 sequenced and 6 phonics curriculum levels, access to oral fluency benchmark assessment passages, online teacher training videos, and technical support.
Founders/Creators: Candyce and Tom Ihnot
Visit them on Facebook.
See what other Crewmates thought of this product.
*****I received a trial of Read Naturally free of charge for the sole purpose of this review. I was not required to write a positive review. The views I have expressed are my own and are real experiences with my family. I am disclosing this is accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html>:"Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."